Monday 9 May 2016

my experience and when it came around

In my blogs I'm going to be writing about a topic that has affected a lot of people I know and personally I have experienced too. It's hard injury to sustain but despite this it's become a common injury. ACL tears and reconstructions usually lead to 9-12 months post surgery high intensity and extremely technical physio before return to play but one thing the patient never tends to be told is the life long issues that come with it are never mentioned, the inevitable knee replacement; the painful reality of arthritis and to some the worst issue, the fact that your playing days may be over.


I'm currently sitting at about 8 weeks post op and I feel that this blog is the perfect opportunity to research what my body has undertaken and what it's about to undertake. I'll be viewing the methods, where they were developed, the percentage increase in ACL tears and the chances of a full recovery.
they completed the surgery through arthroscopy with a hamstring graft and I'm intrigued to see if this method is in fact the most effective. arthroscopy surgery was originally developed in America, in LA. it's not the location however that surprises the reader but the date of the first arthroscopic surgery. it took place in 1918 yet the method on really became popular towards the late 90's and 2000's. and is popular as its far less invasive and just as effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment